My Top Fifteen Favorite Restaurants, in order…
1. 360 Restaurant at the CN Tower, Toronto, Canada. Very expensive, but I found it to be absolutely worth it, with a world class view to match.
2. Fonz’s Restaurant, 1017 Manhattan Ave., Manhattan Beach, California Steak and seafood, located just off Hermosa Beach. Soooo good.
3. Shula’s Steak House, at the Dolphin at the Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, Florida. Black Angus sirloin that almost melts in your mouth. For some reason the Shula's in Manhattan (NYC) didn't quite stack up to the same level, for me.
4. The Buffalo Grill, Zion Mountain Resort, 9065 W Route 9, Mount Carmel, UT 84755 - 435-648-2147, www.zmr.com - I don't think you can make a bad choice, here. Everything was especially good.
5. La Mère Poulard, Grande Rue BP 18, 50170 Mont-St-Michel, France . Best omelettes in the world, in a fantastic location. Note: It's an omelette, and an expensive one, I loved it, but it is still an omelette. If you expect it to be steak & lobster, it just going to taste like eggs to you. The reason the price is so high is the location and the history. Maybe that somehow improves the taste for some of us.
6. The Carnivore, Nairobi, Kenya. As much to do with exotic fare and locale as taste, but great service and a bit of everything. If, however, you are a bit squeamish about trying giraffe, zebra, crocodile, gazelle, wildebeest, etc., it's not for you.
7. Fogo de Chão Churrascaria, 4300 Beltline Road, Dallas, Texas. This place could make this list on the salad bar alone ...really.
8. Hugo's Frog Bar & Fish House, 1024 North Rush Street, Chicago, Illinois
9. Emeril’s New Orleans, 800 Tchoupitoulis Street. (and Orlando, Universal Studios, CityWalk).
10. Zum Landsknecht, Glaserstrasse 5, Kaiserslautern, Germany. Very quaint atmosphere, really good schnitzel.
11. The Cheesecake Factory. Honolulu, Hawaii. (and elsewhere…pretty doggone good for a chain).
12. Misal of India, 580 Ed Noble Pkwy. Norman, OK. Chicken Biryani...Yummmm.
13. Chelinos Mexican Restaurant, 15 E California Ave., Oklahoma City, OK. Now that my old favorite closed, this is my favorite Mexican restaurant. Has a lesser location in Norman, OK, too.
14. Jana's Restaurant, 1324 N. Interstate Dr, Norman, OK. Best Pad Thai in the OKC metro area.
15. Vivoli's Gelato, 7, via isole delle stinche Florence, Italy. Best Ice Cream anywhere. World famous. I stayed in Florence for 5 weeks in 1976, and have visited on several other occasions.
Okay…some of these could make anybody's world-class list; some are just my personal local favorites. Having visited over 30 countries on 4 continents, you think I could come up with a few more international blue-chip epicurean choices, right? Yes, I have eaten in some really world-class restaurants all over the world, and true epicureans would experience cardiac arrest if they knew some of the places I’ve tried and nonetheless leff off, in favor of these, but these are the restaurants that I personally enjoy the most ...and it’s my list of favorites, not a list of the most reknown restaurants that I've tried.
Back to Michael Marcotte's HomePage